Friday, November 20, 2009

Growing Older

This is a poem one of my good friends I grew up with wrote and sent me:

Growing older

Youth and young
plain and simple
having fun
while we're little

elementary fun and games
turns into calling names
lessons learned, hard not easy
getting older makes me queasy

education high school college
the sacrifices we make for knowledge
decisions tear us in all directions
and I'm the one who couldn't make exceptions

seconds minutes hours pass
days weeks months last
not long enough before complication
growing up brings frustration

so how do we grow up now?
b.s. degree, oh yipee
no job, career, or a clue
help me God what do I do?

I never pictured me this way
Living at home for a 5 month stay
I had bigger better plans in store
Please will you just open a door!!!

Friends are scarce and hard to find
it only gets harder with the time
really i feel like I am losing my mind
Shot of tequila with some lime?
No really i just need to unwind
Promise everyone I'm doing fine.

Tired of lying not telling the truth
keeping the secret since my youth
i think you've already figured it out
my heart harbors tons of doubt.

within I'm lost with no where to go
sometimes my thoughts drag me so low
but it's time to forget the past
the future is now so take off the cast

grow up and figure it out
so what if you've lost some clout
stand up get moving
shoulders back start proving
time to see what I'm all about
can you hear me as I shout?

No comments:

Post a Comment